Burrito Pie – Delicious Mexican Casserole by Rockin Robin
Ingredients you need to make Burrito Pie
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, super fine dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz. cans of refried beans
- 1 15 oz. can of fire roasted tomatoes, blended in blender
- 1 4 oz. can of green chiles
- 3/4 cup of store bought salsa
- 3 Tbsp. of Rockin Robins taco seasoning
- 4 – 5 cups of spanish rice
- 1 lb. mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 to 8 flour tortillas
- Optional Garnishes: sour cream, guacamole, sliced olives, salsa, chopped jalapeno
Directions to make Burrito Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the spanish rice a head of time.
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef and onion until no longer pink. Break up the ground beef as it cooks. Drain excess grease.
- Add the garlic, fire roasted tomato, salsa, taco seasoning, and green chiles. Stir until well combined. Add 1/2 cup of water if the mixture seems dry and you need moisture to dissolve the taco seasoning.
- Add the refried beans and stir until combined. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use an oven proof 9 x 13 dish or larger.
- Place a thin layer of bean/beef mixture to cover the bottom of dish.
- Place a layer of flour tortillas on top of it. It’s fine if they over lap a bit. Cut small pieces of tortilla to fill in any gaps.
- Next place a thin layer of spanish rice over the tortillas, followed by another layer of the bean/beef mixture. Then add a layer of cheese on top of the bean/beef mixture.
- Now repeat the layers until you fill the dish. Always end with the bean/beef layer topped with a final layer of cheese. Place a bit more cheese on the final layer so it’s nice and cheesy.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees F., uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes or until everything is pipping hot and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve with your favorite garnishes like sour cream and guacamole!
Burrito pie is like a lasagna only it’s Mexican style. It will definitely fill you up and satisfy you. It’s the perfect dish for a large gathering, or a pot luck party…